This week I did some of the same things as last week, specifically working on detexting the Johnny Ryan comic strip, Portajohnny. With over 100 pages of comics it’s an ongoing project.
I also began work on “cleaning” some Nancy comics. This entails going into the comic with Photoshop and erasing smudges or speckles or other marks that don’t belong. Another project I helped with this week was packing up some old materials from the attic to be sorted later. Some of these things include old movie scripts, photographs, original artwork and comics, and many other things I have yet to discover. Once we have moved all of the materials we’ll sort through them into three piles: keep, throw away, and sell. It’ll be interesting to see what’s there.
I was also given a brief lesson on single copy filing, which is pretty complicated due to the many different titles, issues, and variations. For example, there are about a million Batman variations and even reprints. So the original run and the reprints need to be filed separately.
The other intern and I are going to be doing a book club together. She’s already done one with the intern before me, so she’s familiar with it but this will be my first one. We’ve chosen to do one on Castle Waiting Vol. 2, which hasn’t been released yet. I haven’t read the first one yet so I’ll have to do that before we get started on the second.